Seamwork Moji Pants

I am on a Seamwork pattern-making kick! The Moji pants are the only pants pattern offered by Seamwork, so far. I am in need of new pants for work. My work pants of choice are $60 per pair from Torrid, and I have 2 left that have seen better days. YIKES! The Moji are sort of a trendy, slouchy drawstring pant that look like they would work for casual days at work. The trick here will be to walk the fine line between slouchy and frumpy. Obviously the adorable model looks great in them but she and I couldn’t swap clothes, you know? I run 22-24 US sizes in pants.

I bought a black mystery suiting fabric on clearance from a local fabric store. It has <5% stretch, it is clearly synthetic, and it was $3 a yard. That’s really all I can tell you about it. It looked like it would make “professional” pants. This is the first time I have used my new shiny deluxe OLFA rotary wheel with a pinking disc to cut it out and it is AWESOME!

Moji 2

This time, I read the measurements and I decide to cut a 26 to fit my hips. My waist size was still outside of the body measurements but smaller than the finished garment size so I gambled and made no alterations to the pattern…to start.

Here are the pockets. Per the pattern instructions that are completely attached on the outside of the pant legs. It would not be too difficult to move them to the inside if you wanted to do so. I have to say that I like them on the outside though!

Moji 3

After putting them together I was dying to see how “slouchy” these pants really were. Holy circus tents, Batman! They fit my hips and butt quite well but the waist, which is only pinned together here, was going to be enormous! So much so, that drawing all that fabric in with a drawstring was going to make it a really bulky waistline. So I took in the waist 2″ on the front seam and 2″ on the back seam, or 4″ in total, and tapered it off about 2″ from the top of the waist.

Moji 4

1st round: “Well, these are enormous!”

Now onto those enormous legs.  At the ankles I started a line 1.5″ from the outside seam and then tapered it in at the hip pocket. So with both the front and back layer it should take them in 3″ at the ankle. (Sorry about the terrible photo.)


This photo of left to right, hip to ankle on one leg.

They did looked better, see below.


Better, but still a little frumpy.

I decided to move onto the waistband and at least get that added on then I could really decide if I wanted them to taper in more or stay like this. So onto the grommets! Since my mystery material has a tiny bit of stretch I decided to use some leftover interfacing bits to make the grommet holes stronger. I traced one of my mangled “practice grommets” and then cut out the circle to go around the openings for the drawstring. (Side note: If you want to remove a “practice grommet” that you have mangled while attaching to your fabric, grab a pair of needle nose pliers. I just worked my way around the center crimp while pulling the crimp back up and towards the center until the pieces came apart.)

2 3









Here it is all ironed on. I put interfacing on the front and back side of the grommet hole. There is a little less stretching now and a I felt like the extra thickness of three layers held the grommet better.


So I ventured outside to some concrete and pounded in the grommet. Note: the grommet kit came with a tiny piece of wood for use on a table or work bench. I tried one on my desk and I just mangled the grommet. I recommend the concrete for support so you can really pound straight down without worrying about your desk underneath.








Here are the grommets with the drawstring pulled through. It’s so beautiful!!!


Then I tapered the legs in another 2.5″ each and added the cuffs for the version 2 of the pants. When I first tried the finished pants on, I was not madly in love with them. The are not frumpy but they aren’t anything like I have worn before. Then I wore them to a BBQ and to work and I fell in love! The pockets are a really great size for my phone and they look pretty great with sandals or flats or bare foot. (I always seem to take my finished photos without shoes. I’ll work on that.) They are really a perfect summery pant.

Finished garment alterations:

Waist: Tapered it into a Size 22 and I could have taken it in more. There is a lot of “drawing in” to do.

Hips: Size 26.

Legs: I tapered the legs, from the bottom of the pockets to the ankles. So from a 26 at the hips to a 16 at the ankles.

Cuffs: Size 16.
9 11










Then, while wearing my Moji pants, I baked my fiancee birthday brownies with an icing cat. I’m not much of a baker so when they turned out OK I had to take a picture of them!


9 thoughts on “Seamwork Moji Pants

  1. idaaidasewing says:

    These came out pretty well, well done on taking the time to adjust the fit, that’s one of the reasons I haven’t tried making pants yet!

  2. ibijau says:

    moji is a surprisingly nice pattern once you give it a try, I’ve found… And it looks real nice on you! The black fabric gives them that classy edge that’s really nice!
    Also, that’s one adorable cake

  3. Ebi Poweigha says:

    Great pants! They remind me of my favorite knit pants, Burda 6789. In fact, I think they’re exactly the same. I’m curious to try this pattern and see how the pieces match up. Thanks so much for sharing, and getting into detail with fit and sizing — I’m also a RTW 22/24 with a smaller waist. :)


    Thanks so much for this, Megan! It’s really helpful to see a plus sized version of something before I go ahead and sew it – And these look really nice on you! So I’m going to try them too!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s