We scheduled our engagement photos for October, hoping desperately that it would be cooler in St. Louis. Then came the panic of, “Oh my god, what am I going to wear?” I’m not short of clothing, but do I have anything engagement photo worthy? I decided I should try to sew up something in two weeks, and if it didn’t work I could throw on a RTW dress instead!
One of the places we wanted to have pictures taken is at the Record Exchange in St. Louis. It is a St. Louis institution. My Dad has taken me there since I was a kid and Ian loves to get records there. I’m not much of a record collector but I am always happy to find things for Ian to take home! The store has a very distinctive look. It was formerly a public library built in the 1960’s and it is about 9,500 square feet. I’m not kidding when I say almost every square foot is jam packed with records, cds, laser discs, receivers, record players and other things!
When shopping for fabric I had to keep in mind that floors are bright yellow and black checked linoleum and the walls are painted a matching yellow! I decided on Simplicity 1872 Cynthia Rowley’s tiered pull-over dress B in a Bahama blue polyester/spandex mix that is very soft and will have a nice drape! Of course I decided to add sleeves.
The sizing on this dress is a little strange. So the pattern goes up to a size 22 and I was pretty sure I would need a 24. So I sized up the top. This is not made for busty women. Every make I have seen has a camisole underneath. It will not sit flat and closed like the photo on me. I think the front could have used darts, but I didn’t put them in. Oh, well! Then the skirt ending up being enormous. I had sized it up, since it was a 22. I ended up taking it down to about a 20!
You will also notice that I added about 2″ in length to the waist by adding a waistband. The dress is supposed to be 35″ long. That is too short for my comfort, even at 5′ 3″! Dress C was supposed to be 39″ long so I decided to use those skirts and I even added an inch to each one! Guess what? After adding 1″ to the skirts, 2″ to the waistline to a finished dress whose length was supposedly 39″; mine ended up being 38.5″ long. How is this possible? This dress is the incredible shrinking dress! Next time I will add length to the top and the skirts as well. I also just did a rolled hem on all of the skirts! I recommend that for this dress as it is easier to hem 3 circle skirts and it leaves you as much length as possible!
So instead of my usual cell phone sewing room photos I have lovely professional engagement photos by Jaimie Nicole Krause Photography at http://www.modernstlphoto.com! We really don’t like having our photos taken so this was a really unusual adventure for us! Jaimie was lovely and made it very easy and enjoyable.
So overall, I love this dress. I think for the most part it is very flattering and a pretty quick make. I may make this dress again, but I think I would add bust darts and make it longer! Oh yeah, and I also panicked about my hair and cut my own bangs about an hour before this! I do that every couple of years. Thanks for making it to the end!