The incredible growing sleeve fix!

Happy New Year! This is the only bit of sewing I could get done in the last few months of 2017. I bought this sweater several years ago in the men’s section. I liked that is was $7 on clearance, super warm, and the dark green color. The only problem is that after wearing it for a few hours the sleeves would stretch out like crazy!1

So I decided to do a little altering! I could have removed the knit textured cuff and moved it up to make it shorter, but I actually like the length. I love long sleeves that cover my fingers! It’s like having build in mittens!

First I wore it for a few hours so the sleeves would stretch, then I laid one of my regular sweaters on top of it.


The green sweater does not have quite as much stretch as my blue sweater, so I decided to make it a little bit bigger than the blue sleeve.3

First I basted, tried it on, and then trimmed the edge. Then I finished the edge with a tight zig zag stitch.


I decided instead of shortening these sleeves I would add thumb holes by adding long button holes! Below is my test piece.



The first button hole was too short. I ended up using the whole length of my button hole foot!

TA DA! Super toasty clearance sweater, now with snazzy thumb-holes!


5 thoughts on “The incredible growing sleeve fix!

  1. Caitlyn says:

    What a clever solution! I thought you were going to add clear elastic, twill tape, or some other stabilizer to keep the sleeves from stretching out so much, but I actually like this idea much better. Brava!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s